Southwestern Turkey Burgers with Tomato and Corn Salad

Tomato and Corn Salad

Although we’ve been having typical southern California weather, most of the country has been blistering in 90+ temperatures, and just like those folks,I’d rather be firing up the grill or stoking a beach bonfire than inside cooking on the range. So following an afternoon spent lazily floating in the pool and dodging kids hurtling themselves off the diving board, I decided the evening called for succulent grilled turkey burgers and a garden-to-table summertime salad.

I have never seen a purple pepper, but The Don planted these gorgeous organic Purple Beauty peppers this year.

Purple Pepper

Cutting into the peppers, I was surprised to discover that their flesh was green – red peppers have red skin and flesh, yellow peppers – yellow, etc. – this gave them an unusual striped look when chopped. For the salad, I simply diced one of the purple peppers and combined it with a tablespoon of  basil chiffonade and a small pile of chopped red onion, then tossed the mixture with a handful of halved grape tomatoes and the kernels from two ears of corn and splashed with a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar; this crunchy salad, chock full of vibrant color, shouted “Hooray, it’s summer!” Of course, crisp green peppers will do nicely, if you don’t have purple ones growing in your backyard.

Southwestern Turkey Burger

9 Responses to “Southwestern Turkey Burgers with Tomato and Corn Salad”

July 22 at 12:54 pm #

So those purple peppers are stunning! I’ve never seen anything like them. Isn’t it wonderful to see all these heirloom fruits and veggies from friends and local farms?
    .-= Monet´s last blog ..Raspberry Scones =-.

July 22 at 4:26 pm #

Priscilla, we’re so on the same wavelength today. I’ve got a burger I’m preparing to post. :-)

And, save for the onion you add, my tomato corn salad is just like yours! You photographed your salad beautifully.
    .-= Jean´s last blog ..Nutella Tart Courtesy of Pierre Hermé =-.

3. marla {family fresh cooking}
    July 22 at 6:31 pm #

Love your southwest turkey burgers. I have never seen a purple pepper either. Such a nice addition to a Summer meal.

4. Judy
    July 22 at 10:34 pm #

Yummy-looking burger and corn salad! I’ve been craving In-N’-Out. I haven’t caved in to the craving, but your burger puts In-N-Out to shame! I left a small gift for you. Stop by when you have time. Have a great weekend. http://wp.me/pQ4AV-HJ
    .-= Judy´s last blog ..Kurogoma Aisukurimu Black Sesame Ice Cream =-.

5. Love the corn salad and how perfect is that with your delicious burger!

July 25 at 11:31 am #

Thanks, Lisa – we loved every bite!

6. Anna
    July 26 at 10:54 pm #

Mmmmm, this burger looks sooooo good, it gave me a big craving. :-D
    .-= Anna´s last blog ..Fennel and Orange Salad =-.

August 7 at 3:23 pm #

I love that tomato and corn slaw…nice looking burger too:)
    .-= Magic of Spice´s last blog ..Whats for Dinner Crepes with Orange Hollandaise =-.

8. Tina
    September 23 at 12:51 pm #

I think your salad looks delish and since we up here in the northern part of the state are going to finally have a summer starting this weekend (temps are suppose to be in the 100′s by Tuesday…yesterday it was 74 for a high!), I will plan on making this to put on some pork tacos….Hubby refuses to eat turkey :(