Savory Brined Turkey with Brown Rice Syrup Glaze

Brined Turkey with Brown Rice Syrup Glaze - ShesCookin.com
Turkey recipes abound and its officially countdown time to the big day! I’ve ordered my Mary’s Free Range organic turkey – all it takes is a phone call to Whole Foods – and I’ll pick it up next Monday so it has 2+ days to defrost in the refrigerator. So let’s talk turkey! Have you decided to try something new or do you have a tried and true recipe? Or maybe you’re relieved of turkey duty and travel to your mom’s or sister’s house or you could be one of the many who enjoy the holiday feast by making reservations :) Its all good!

These days its just not as simple as roasting a turkey – there are recipes for dry rubs, brining, glazing, deep-fried, smoked, and grilled turkeys! For the past 10 years I’ve made a Brown Sugar Cured Turkey recipe from Bon Appetit – its a rub of brown sugar and herbs that is slathered on the bird the day before and refrigerated uncovered for 24 hours. Doing this draws the moisture to the skin and infuses the meat with a subtle sweetness. My mouth is watering just describing it to you!

Even though my words of advice for the home chef usually is along the lines of “don’t try anything too radically new” for the big day, this year I took a huge leap of faith and brined the big bird! After the grand opening of Whole Foods in Huntington Beach, I was contacted about testing a brining recipe for Kikkoman and thought that might be kind of fun for a change. I mentioned that I only use low-sodium soy sauce and the box I received included it and several other popular Kikkoman sauces along with a gift card to purchase a turkey.

My kitchen is not equipped with gigantic stock pots, my largest one was not big enough for a 12-pound turkey submerged in two gallons of soy-laced water , so I used doubled turkey-sized oven bags suggested in another brining recipe that I had seen recently in Bon Appetit.  And actually the bag helps keep the brining liquid from sloshing out of the pot as you move it from the kitchen to your refrigerator that’s in the garage :-) Anyway, it was quite comical and in the end resulted in a succulent, but not salty, turkey infused with a rich savory umami flavor. The brown rice syrup glaze gives the bird a crisp, burnished skin.  The Don raved about it and no mention was made of turkeys past, so that means it was REALLY gooood!

Enjoy :-)

Tips on carving your bird:

Tags: , ,

21 Responses to “Savory Brined Turkey with Brown Rice Syrup Glaze”

1. kelly von hemert
    November 16 at 7:12 am #

Beautiful! It’s the annual Gourmet cover reincarnated on your blog!

November 16 at 7:39 am #

Thank you, Kelly! Are you taking charge of the bird this year?

November 16 at 7:38 am #

I’ve always wanted to try brining my turkey but we always get it the day before Thanksgiving (ordered). Maybe this year I’ll request an earlier delivery. One of my go-to marinades also includes soy sauce and it’s quite good so I imagine using it in the brine imparts a lot of flavor. You’re ready for Thanksgiving! :-)

November 16 at 7:41 am #

Jean – I wish! I’m out of town, but my husband has been enjoying lots of turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce in advance of the big day :-)

November 16 at 8:52 am #

You learn something new everyday! Brown rice syrup is a completely new ingredient to me, but this turkey looks so great! My family is hosting this year, but I have no idea what kind of turkey we will be making! I guess we should start planning, right?

4. Lazaro
    November 16 at 9:07 am #

What’s not to like? The turkey looks cooked to perfection. Love the idea of the brown rice syrup glaze. Bravo!

5. whatsfordinneracrossstatelines
    November 16 at 11:01 am #

Good to know it didn’t get salty. I wanted to brine one this year, I always like trying something new, but i do love brown sugar rubs too! This will be my first year, my mom always made it, but she’s not up to it anymore!
    -Gina-

6. pachecopatty
    November 16 at 11:52 am #

Your turkey looks beautiful, wouldn’t it be wonderful if it would just magically arrive at my door on Thanksgiving?? Okay, back to reality, I like both the brine and glaze recipes, they just sound wonderful. I’ve brined my turkey in the past, in a garbage bag inside an ice chest on my outside deck out the kitchen door, sorry no room in the kitchen, it’s Thanksgiving! We like to grill the turkey especially if it’s warm, like now, and I think the brine really helps:)

November 16 at 2:48 pm #

@Victoria – Yep, you better start planning – you know its going to take more than one trip to the store :-)

@ Lazaro – Thank you for the wonderful compliment!

@Whatsfordinner – Yes, its time for us to relieve our moms of turkey duty ;-)

@Patty – Too funny! Next time I will use a garbage bag & cooler :-) And, I think brining is a must when grilling your bird.

@Faith – Thank you and the shiny glaze finished it off perfectly!

November 16 at 1:02 pm #

We brine our turkey before roasting too — it adds so much flavor and keeps the bird so moist! Your brine looks fanstastic, and I love the added flavor of the glaze!

8. Nancy/SpicieFoodie
    November 16 at 4:23 pm #

Your Turkey is really making me want to celebrate Thanksgiving. What a fabulous recipe!

November 16 at 10:01 pm #

That has got to be the best-looking roasted bird I have seen in a long time! Perfectly golden browned! Just beautiful.

November 17 at 2:21 pm #

I want to try brining a turkey so badly…but I don’t have a big enough pot! I may need to put that on my Christmas list this year, and then save the brining for next November. This bird looks so beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday night!

11. fooddreamer
    November 17 at 2:36 pm #

Wow, I cannot believe that Thanksgiving is a week tomorrow! Your turkey is gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.

12. Sommer @ A Spicy Perspective
    November 18 at 5:51 am #

Yeah Baby! Look at that turkey! I’m a big believer in the importance of brining! You just can’t get color like that without it!

13. FOODESSA
    November 18 at 2:23 pm #

Oh…How I can see this very interesting Brown syrup glaze working also on so many other meats…great idea Priscilla…thanks ;o) Hubby is not a fan of Turkey like yours…so I have to work around it.

BTW…the photos are stunning…great color and composition!

Ciao for now,
    Claudia

November 20 at 11:17 pm #

Adam is on turkey duty :) That glaze sounds great, not heard of it before…
    When I have turkey duty I do always brine as well…since I don’t actually eat it I have not noticed Adam’s technique, I know what kind of mother am I, lol
    Yours is gorgeous, and I agree with Claudia the photos are beautiful :)

November 21 at 8:59 am #

@Magic of Spice – That’s because the glaze is my creation! Every once in in awhile I have a cooking ephiphany ;-)

15. foodwanderings
    November 17 at 5:44 pm #

Brining is awesome. That is why I love kosher chickens for example. I miss my neighbot who now lives in Paris. She used to brine hers in a bucket and she is a caterer. LOL I love th etwist in here never seen brown rice syrup glaze. It’s a first which is a saying a lot considering the abundance of turkey recipes out there.

16. Liren
    November 20 at 5:16 pm #

Pure, succulent perfection. I have handed over the turkey baton to my husband this year, but I think I might have him follow your gorgeous recipe! Happy Thanksgiving, Priscilla!

1. Butternut Squash with Pancetta and a Winner! | She's Cookin' - November 18