Super Kale and Sausage Lasagna

Not everyone knows that kale is a super food. I’ve known it for years, but its taken me awhile to come around to its hearty, earthiness and look beyond my undying love for spinach long enough to make room for this nutrient rich leafy green. From WHFoods: kale has cholesterol lowering benefits, contains anti-cancer nutrients (glucosinolates) that can lower your risk for five different types of cancer (bladder, breast, colon, ovary and prostate), and provides comprehensive support for the body’s detoxification system.

So I figured that after the glorious excesses of holiday celebrations and resolving to eat healthier, drink less, and exercise more in 2011, that this recipe might be worth bookmarking :-) If none of this pertains to you, then never mind, you’re already the picture of health!

For now, I just had a craving for lasagna and a desire to make it a little healthier with the addition of kale and substituting feta cheese, which is lower in fat than traditional ricotta and mozzarella.

5. Cover with aluminum foil sprayed with oil so the cheese doesn’t stick. Bake for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more until cheese is browned.

* Eliminate the sausage for a vegetarian version. I used Lou’s Famous Sun Dried Tomato chicken sausage from Whole Foods and Classico Caramelized Onion and Roasted Garlic pasta sauce. Culinary Circle is an organic line of pastas from Italy that includes the oven-ready lasagna used here.

Serve with extra sauce on the side and a fresh mixed green salad. Enjoy :-)

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “Super Kale and Sausage Lasagna”

1. briarrose
    December 21 at 7:01 am #

Oh this looks tasty. I’ve never thought to use kale in my lasagna…I would totally have gone with spinach without thinking of anything else.

2. Kim
    December 21 at 8:24 am #

Can I make a resolution to eat less and excercise more with you?! I have a lot of chard growing out back; wonder if I can sub kale for chard? BTW – you need to come over and pick some edibles (after it stops raining). Way too much at our house right now!

[K]

3. Roxan
    December 21 at 8:41 am #

I haven’t really had much kale before – isn’t it really thick? I think I’d need to have it cooked well done (like in a delicious lasagna) to enjoy it! I have heard though, how healthy it is for me and know that I need to include more of it in my life.

December 21 at 9:13 am #

Great spin on lasagna! I enjoy kale but never seem to make it myself. I love how you’ve infused healthy ingredients into a true comfort food :) Mmmmmm

5. skip to malou
    December 21 at 10:04 pm #

lasagna on a healthier twist? i’ve never had kale before. does it taste like spinach? now im intrigued!

6. Kristi Rimkus
    December 22 at 6:39 am #

I love that you’ve used a Bechamel sauce. I love the flavor and creaminess it gives lasagna. I’m a BIG kale fan, so this is right up my alley. Have a terrific holiday!

7. Sandra
    December 22 at 8:27 am #

Well, I never tried lasagna with kale..I did use spinach. This look so good. Nicely done!

8. Hester aka The Chefdoc
    December 22 at 9:05 am #

This looks super duper yummy! I LOVE kale! Wrote a post on creamed mushrooms and kale. But mmm, how I do like a non-traditional lasagna! Thanks so much for sharing!

9. RavieNomNoms
    December 22 at 9:19 am #

I have never even thought about using kale in a lasagna…what a genius idea! Thanks so much for the eye opener!

10. Jason Phelps
    December 22 at 4:52 pm #

Kale definitely takes some getting used to but it is so flavorful and can be used in many ways. This is a new one for me and a recipe that I will definitely be bookmarking.

Jason

December 22 at 9:31 pm #

I love this kale lasagna!! And the pictures are so perfect that I wish I could just reach out to get a large slice of this super looking and delicious treat!

12. Rich
    December 23 at 5:15 am #

I am totally on the ‘getting healthy in 2011′ bandwagon! Until, of course, 2011 shows up. Then I’ll likely forget about the whole ‘self-improvement’ thing. But it doesn’t look like need any reason to make this except for the fact that it looks incredible! Health kick or not, I’d dig into this pretty happily.

13. Sommer@ASP
    December 23 at 6:27 am #

We all need a little more kale in our lives, don’t we? This is the perfect way to get it in! Such a hearty meal–no one would even notice its healthy benefits!

14. Rosa
    December 23 at 10:49 am #

That is one scrumptious combo! The kind of lasagna that is addictive.

Happy holidays!

Cheers,

Rosa

15. bunkycooks
    December 23 at 12:15 pm #

I am on that bandwagon to change some habits next year! I have learned to like kale better over the past few years. I am sure this would be a great way to include it in your diet. Happy holidays to you!

16. fooddreamer
    December 24 at 3:56 am #

What a fantastic lasagne. Kale and sausage go so well together, I have a soup that pairs them as well. But in a lasagne is a great idea!

17. blackbookkitchendiaries
    December 26 at 11:45 am #

this looks so lovely!! i cant wait to try this recipe out. thank you for sharing and happy holidays!

December 29 at 8:16 pm #

What a great combination…I so love lasagna, but I have never thought of kale.
    Very nice substitute and looks amazing :)