Another Week, Another Adventure

Another week, another adventure…  It’s been a hectic three months! Last week I was spending time in my ‘ole stomping grounds – Eureka Springs, AR – a picturesque town nestled in the Ozark Mountains where I grew up and return to often to visit my mom, dad, and sister who live there and seek a little respite at our lake cottage.  Whenever we come to Eureka Springs, crossing the Beaver Bridge (above) – an historic one-lane wooden suspension bridge declares,”We’re here!”. Fortunately, the bridge reopened a few days before my trip after being submerged under the rising water for the past month and a half!

I hadn’t been to the lake since February and needed to check on the house after two months of the most violent spring storms the area has seen in decades. We’re 100 miles from Joplin, MO and the tornado that devastated Joplin  took its toll on the surrounding area as did several colossal thunder storms which wreaked havoc with high winds, lightning, and days of being deluged with massive rainfall resulted in major flooding in the area.

We usually tie-up under the Old Trestle bridge for some shade and swimming.

It’s a good thing that I made the trip because the sun room showed evidence of water damage and the house was either hit by lightening or a power surge because the refrigerator, TV, DVD player, modem, router, and fax machine were all non-functional – minor damage compared to what many others have lost to be sure, but still enough to contribute to the massive amount of insurance claims being handled by Allstate’s National Catastrophe Team.

The view from our deck and being able to kick back and get off the fast track for a few days of tranquility makes it all worthwhile…

Springtime at the lake.

Only June and the weather was already 90 degrees hot and humid, you have to walk early and spend the rest of the day boating, jet skiing, water skiing, wave running, or listlessly floating on the water like I do. It was nice coming home to more comfortable temps and a garden bursting with lettuce, green beans, and zucchini. I have two zucchini recipes up my sleeve, but for now here’s a simple glad-to-be-home summer recipe packed with fresh flavors of basil, sweet carrot, and bright citrus on top of crunchy veggies and cool, slippery noodles.

Sesame Noodle Salad | ShesCookin.com

Cooking Academy

* Not sure how to julienne carrots or chiffonade basil? What’s the difference between chopped, minced, diced? Here’s a very helpful video on knife skills by Food and Style. Viviane Bauquet Farre’s mesmerizes you with her charming accent and soothing voice, and she makes slicing and dicing seem so pleasant and effortless :-)

Slice, dice, mince and chiffonade for Vegetarian Times from Viviane Bauquet Farre on Vimeo.

23 Responses to “Another Week, Another Adventure”

1. Emily @Cleanliness
    June 28 at 6:18 am #

How beeautiful! All of it!

June 28 at 7:08 am #

Looks like a wonderful visit home! I’m glad the bridge was finally open! That’s so scary about all that weather, but it looks like you guys had perfect weather during your visit! What gorgeous views. Also, love the soba noodle salad. I have some soba noodles and have been toying around with what I want to do with them. A soup or cold salad seems like the most likely options, haha. I think its too hot for soup now too ;-)

June 28 at 7:55 am #

Really stunning photos! I love vacations like that…they’re the perfect way to relax and rejuvenate. The salad looks amazing, especially with that flavorful dressing!

4. Sanjeeta kk
    June 28 at 8:23 am #

Love the refreshing salad! Those pictures are awesome.

5. Sippitysup
    June 28 at 8:51 am #

I am such a sucker for the south. Thanks for the peek. GREG

6. Tanantha
    June 28 at 11:54 am #

Good thing you have an insurance! phewww
    I wish we could have 90 degrees here for a few months and i love water sport! we just sold the boat and are getting a jet ski instead. I can’t wait to hit the water.

anyway, your salad sounds really refreshing and i like the peanut ginger dressing. It goes so well with soba noodles!

7. pachecopatty
    June 28 at 12:00 pm #

All that citrus fruit looks good juiced like that for your salad dressing. Isn’t real Summer wonderful, it’s pouring rain here today, now that’s just plain weird for this time of year! Beautiful photos Priscilla, enjoy;-)

8. What a great trip back home! This salad looks amazing! I love all the different flavors in it. Definitely saving for later!

9. Jessica
    June 28 at 12:37 pm #

Gorgeous photos! That salad looks so refreshing and healthy. I love it!

10. Suzanne
    June 28 at 5:32 pm #

nice post, the recipe looks great full of flavor!

11. I was just looking at the package of soba noodles in my pantry the other day thinking to myself it had been a while sine I had made any. Perfect timing!

12. spcookiequeen
    June 29 at 8:16 am #

What a beautiful place to visit. I love places that are really greeen. Love those soba nooodles too, I need to make more lighter dishes now that it is warming up. Sounds like you are having a wonderful summer so far.
    -Gina-

13. Emily @ Life on Food
    June 29 at 5:07 pm #

The bridge in the first picture is so beautiful. A perfect summer shot. I hope the weather settles down for the rest of the year. So much has happened and its only June.

June 29 at 11:24 pm #

Hi Priscilla..you can’t never had enough of the adventures and I can see that you are having great time exploring! I love your pictures and your salad looks so refreshing and colorful..full of summer!!!

15. Biren @ Roti n Rice
    June 30 at 11:30 am #

This is my kind of noodles! It is HOT today and I can do with a plate of this right now. I have never been to the Ozark Mountains but it looks so serene and picturesque. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos :)

16. Kate@Diethood.com
    June 30 at 11:44 am #

I want to hop in my car and go to AR now! Your photos are beautiful!!

17. Sheril Benedict
    July 2 at 7:13 pm #

An adventure trip is always a special one hope you have a great time and salad looks great !! loved it .. Pics looks great !!

July 2 at 8:06 pm #

Thanks everyone! So happy that you enjoyed the pics and I could give you a little peek into the Ozarks!

18. We have friends that moved from the Bay Area to Bentonville. Last time we visited them, we ventured to the Ozarks and Eureka Springs. Cute little town. Your salad looks so tasty and I just wish I had it in front of me right now. I am SO hungry! Enjoy your 4th!!!

19. Priscilla
    July 4 at 12:46 pm #

@Lisa – That must have been a BIG change for them! I fly into Bentonville, but that’s about it. Eureka Springs, on the other hand, is a cute, artsy town with an interesting history. Hope you’re having a fabulous 4th!

20. Nancy
    July 5 at 7:13 am #

What a beautiful place. I would love to spend some relaxing time there. The soba salad looks so refreshing and delicious. Thanks for sharing : )

July 8 at 5:14 pm #

What a great salad…and in love with the dressing!
    I have not been to Eureka Springs in forever…looks gorgeous :) Sorry about the damage, but sounds like it could have been much worse.
    What do you say to us taking a trip there when it’s below my fry temperature? :)

22. Shu Han
    July 27 at 7:51 am #

I love peanut sauces! THis is a new one to add to my list of peanut sauces to try (: my favourite is still the classic Singapore satay peanut sauce that I grew up with though!