Salmon, Citrus and Sage

Poached Salmon with Citrus and White Bean + Sage Salad

Besides seasonal + simple, I emphasize healthy dishes here at She’s Cookin’ – and, the older we get the more important this becomes. This isn’t a new thing for me, it’s always made me feel good to prepare a delicious meal for my family and know that they are filling their tummies with foods that fuel their mind and body. Plus, seeing and hearing others enjoy the fruits of your labor is the most rewarding part for any cook.

If you have the desire to eat healthier (you have to want to do it), there are five simple methods or techniques that will help you prepare delicious, heart-healthy, lower-calorie, nutritious meals and allow you to mix it up and keep it interesting for everyone. Being in southern California, I tend to grill and broil frequently, some of you may rely on stir frying several times a week. This is all good, but can get boring.  Today’s Poached Salmon recipe was me reminding myself to change it up and step away from the grill and broiler. Plus, since I misunderstood September’s 5 Star Makeover Challenge, I wanted to prove that I know how to cook with wine, not just drink it :-) In this dish, bright caramelized citrus pairs with rustic autumn flavors to express the transition from the light of summer to brisk days of Fall and satisfying comfort foods.

Poached Salmon, White Bean Salad-0161

Moist, tender and flavorful – go ahead, take a bite!

Poaching is an excellent way to keep fish moist and tender. You can use any combination of chicken, seafood, or vegetables; simply place ingredients in a pot and cover with water or broth, or in this case clam juice and wine. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer until cooked. Then use the nutritious, flavorful liquid for a sauce or save it for use in soup. The four other techniques that are part of a healthy cook’s repertoire are Steaming – excellent for retaining vital nutrients, Stir-Fry – loads of flavors and texture,  Roasting – comforting and rich flavors in caramelizing meats and vegetables, and En Papillote (Cooking in Parchment) – a fun and delicious meal in a packet! You can get the recipe for my Sesame Salmon En Papillote (yes, I love salmon and it’s loaded with healthy Omega 3 oils) and I’ll be featuring each one of the other techniques in the weeks to come, so check back :-)

Enjoy! Poached Salmon with Citrus, White Bean + Sage Salad

25 Responses to “Salmon, Citrus and Sage”

1. Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom}
    October 4 at 1:27 pm #

That is simply beautiful, Priscilla! What a wonderful combination of flavors. Good luck preparing for your trip, I hope you have a splendid time!

October 4 at 1:38 pm #

Thank you, Krista! The flavors in this dish complemented each other so well. The trip will be fun, once we’re on it ;)

October 4 at 1:43 pm #

Priscilla!
    This looks fantastic and definitely worthy of any restaurant’s menu! I love citrus and I love poached salmon so I know I would love this dish!!

3. Renee Fontes
    October 4 at 1:46 pm #

I am loving the different components of this dish. The salad and grapefruit are unique and exciting! Thanks for a great dinner idea!

4. foodwanderings
    October 4 at 4:13 pm #

Hi Priscilla, Poaching fish is one method under used in my kitchen but I find it very appealing the delicate texture the process achieves. Maybe this wonderful Citrus & Sage poached Salmon will give me a boost! Shulie

5. Carolyn
    October 4 at 5:07 pm #

I must have missed the part where you misunderstood the makeover challenge, but I am sorta glad you did. This meal looks amazing!

6. Sippitysup
    October 4 at 5:49 pm #

I’d say these are the three S’s in success except citrus starts with C (but sounds like S)! GREG

October 4 at 8:49 pm #

A bit wouldn’t be enough for me..succulent and tender! Love the combination of flavours.

8. Curt
    October 5 at 6:13 am #

This is a delicious looking meal. I love salmon and cannellini beans, but I’m most impressed with the caramelized grapefruit!

9. RavieNomNoms
    October 5 at 8:43 am #

You know how much I love salmon! This looks great Priscilla…I love that you have citrus in there too. Salmon always pairs nicely with citrus fruit.

10. Kelly
    October 5 at 1:07 pm #

This looks delicious! I love the combination of citrus and sage! :)

11. Gina
    October 5 at 3:40 pm #

Who wants fish if it’s not succulent? I just came back from a road trip with a stomachache, so something like this sounds perfect. I hope you have fun on your trip and that you are going to tell us all about it. Have fun.
    -Gina-

12. Lora @cakeduchess
    October 6 at 7:13 pm #

Hi Priscilla-Your poached salmon looks delicious. Love the caramelized grapefuit idea. Your bean salad also is something I need to try. Hope you had a wonderful week.:)

13. Sook
    October 7 at 1:28 am #

I LOVE salmon… This looks wonderful! Citrus flavors go great with salmon.

14. Peggy
    October 9 at 8:32 am #

This salmon looks perfectly done! Love all of the flavors that combine to make this dish phenomenal =)

15. kita
    October 9 at 7:22 pm #

What a beautiful salmon dish. I do try to sneak healthier meals in here and there (well, more here’s then there’s lately) because I feel its a good thing for us to do and be accustom to as time goes forward. Sure, I’d love a big bowl of mac and cheese every night – but that just ain’t happening! This salmon looks just as rewarding with a fraction of the guilt – if any!

16. Tanantha
    October 10 at 5:00 pm #

Of course, we know you can cook with wine! I totally agree that the older we get, the more important to eat healthy. This looks lovely and I like citrus flavor!

17. Roxana GreenGirl
    October 11 at 7:06 am #

Hi Priscilla
    What a beautiful, healthy and delicious dish. I love eating salmon, well, it’s the only fish I eat and can’t wait to see other techniques to cook and enjoy it.
    Have fun on your vacation!

18. Tickled Red
    October 11 at 8:27 am #

Hi Priscilla :)
    This looks simply wonderful. DS, being a Cali boy himself, would love this recipe. I can’t wait to give it a try.

19. Megan
    October 11 at 1:59 pm #

This looks really refreshing. I’m not a huge fan of grapefruit, but this recipe sounds so interesting that I’ll have to give it a try when grapefruit season comes around here.

20. Melanie
    October 14 at 10:16 am #

This salmon looks great! It’s so healthy, yet filling!

21. Lori Lynn
    October 15 at 4:28 am #

Sounds like a lovely dish, heart-healthy is another bonus.
    LL

November 9 at 9:20 am #

Beautiful dish all around, I just love the combination of flavors here!

23. Sook
    November 16 at 10:22 pm #

Salmon and citrus are so great together! Yum!

1. An Interview With She’s Cookin’, My Favorite Foodies Series - March 28

[...] for images in the graphic and photos can be found in the links below. – Salmon, Citrus and Sage – Chicken Pate Truffles – Nutted Rice with Apricots and Ginger Carrot Dressing – Eleven Madison [...]