Quinoa Tabbouleh with Endive

About a month ago, I received a box of California endive from the wonderful people at Discover Endive! Inside the box was a bouquet of red and white endive as well as two packages of endive to play with in the kitchen. I had never seen endive still attached to the root ball and it made for a striking surprise bouquet right before Valentine’s Day (wow, has it really been over a month!).  I know my friend Liren of Kitchen Confidante posted a lovely photograph of her endive bouquet and, if you travel the food blog circuit, you may have seen others, unfortunately, the bouquet I received must have traveled on the pony express because it took a beating ;-)

There are so many ways you can use endive and in February the web was ablaze with endive recipes from a talented group of food bloggers called the OnDivas who used their mega watts of creativity to shine a light on under-appreciated endive. One easy way to appreciate the crunchy, slightly bitter leaves of endive is as a “scooper” for tuna, egg salad, and dips –  it’s  great as a quick lunch or snack and adds a delightful, satisfying crispness that I always enjoy, plus, its lower in calories, carbs, and fats than chips or crackers.

What is endive? As indicated by Discover Endive!, “endive is a member of the chicory family, which includes radicchio, escarole and curly endive. It is often called the queen of vegetables and is prized the world over. It has a crisp texture and a sweet, nutty flavor with a pleasantly mild bitterness — great served raw or cooked.”

Health benefits:

• a good source of beta-carotene, which the body coverts into vitamin A
  • a good source of heart-healthy potassium — one head of endive delivers over 50% of the potassium found in a banana
  • high in complex fiber

Quinoa Tabbouleh

Today’s recipe is for a Quinoa Tabbouleh that substitutes vibrant red quinoa for the bulghur wheat traditionally used in tabbouleh. Not only is tabbouleh naturally gluten free, but it’s also heart healthy, vegan, dairy-free and makes a perfect light, nutritious snack or appetizer. White quinoa is more commonly found in markets and works just as well, if red quinoa is not available. If you haven’t tried quinoa, you absolutely must – it cooks quickly and is easily incorporated into veggie burgers, salads, and even breakfast dishes. It goes over well with kids and the uninitiated because of its mild, nutty flavor. Middle Eastern and Moroccan flavors satisfy me when I’m craving exotic edibles, so a bit of my go-to Moroccan spice, Ras el Hanout, adds a subtle flavor and depth to the tabbouleh, just as it does in the 5-Minute Spicy Hummus I make.

quinoa tabbouleh

quinoa tabbouleh

In case you’re not familiar with quinoa (or tabbouleh), but want to work more whole grains into your diet, here’s some information from The Food Lover’s Companion.

What is quinoa?
Pronunciation: [KEEN-wah]

Although quinoa is new to the American market, it was a staple of the ancient Incas, who called it “the mother grain.” To this day it’s an important food in South American cuisine. Hailed as the “supergrain of the future,” quinoa contains more protein than any other grain. It’s considered a complete protein because it contains all eight essential amino acids. Quinoa is also higher in unsaturated fats and lower in carbohydrates than most grains, and it provides a rich and balanced source of vital nutrients. Tiny and bead-shaped, the ivory-colored quinoa cooks like rice (taking half the time of regular rice) and expands to four times its original volume. Its flavor is delicate, almost bland, and has been compared to that of couscous. Quinoa is lighter than but can be used in any way suitable for rice — as part of a main dish, a side dish, in soups, in salads and even in puddings. It’s available packaged as a grain, ground into flour and in several forms of pasta. Quinoa can be found in natural food stores and some supermarkets.

What is tabbouleh?
Pronunciation: [tuh-BOO-luh]
A Middle Eastern dish of bulghur wheat mixed with chopped tomatoes, onions, parsley, mint, olive oil and lemon juice. It’s served cold, often with a crisp bread such as lavosh.

Enjoy :-)

Tags: , ,

21 Responses to “Quinoa Tabbouleh with Endive”

March 20 at 9:24 am #

Great post Priscilla and Quinoa tabbouleh with Endive sound and look fantastic! thanks for sharing and have a lovely day!!!

2. Jen L @ Tartine and Apron Strings
    March 20 at 9:24 am #

thanks for explaining ras el hanout! i just saw a spice blend at #Williams-Sonoma and was intrigued! now i have a reason to buy it!

March 20 at 10:44 am #

Guess we will both be doing allot with endive :) Great post and this looks so delicious…love quinoa!

4. Natalie
    March 20 at 11:10 am #

Wow this looks amazing! I have seen a lot of people using quinoa in their dishes but this one is my all time fav!

5. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
    March 20 at 12:04 pm #

This looks like a great summer salad! I have 3 bags of red quinoa and need recipes for them. Love the idea of tabboleh! And I need to pick up some endive, not sure I have ever actually tried it!

6. Nami | Just One Cookbook
    March 20 at 2:53 pm #

I actually didn’t know the health benefit of the endive. I just like the texture and taste, but it’s even better with good nutritious values! Very nice appetizers – I don’t need any carbs and I’d finish the entire batch alone happily!

7. Patty
    March 20 at 3:22 pm #

Beautiful healthy salad Priscilla, I love endive in salad! I’m going to pin this ;-)

8. Suzanne
    March 20 at 5:44 pm #

what a healthy vibrant salad, and beautiful photos.

9. Terra
    March 20 at 6:41 pm #

What a beautiful summery salad, and I love the idea of topping it on endive! What a fun healthy idea! Hugs, Terra

10. Angie@Angie's Recipes
    March 21 at 11:53 am #

A vibrant and tasty quinoa salad. I love that you served them in different coloured endive leaves.

11. Kiri W.
    March 21 at 1:51 pm #

I know endive from growing up in Germany, but I have never had it with tabbouleh – what a glorious idea! :) I’d love this.

12. Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf
    March 21 at 4:39 pm #

Priscilla, this is my first visit to ShesCookin and I am very happy I came. :) Love cooking with quinoa and don’t ever work with endive. This looks fabulous and I must try it very soon. Thanks! Your images are lovely as well.

13. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
    March 21 at 4:52 pm #

Lovely post and photos, Priscilla! I’ve never had endive before, until recently. Perfect scoops of deliciousness all the time :)

14. Lisa
    March 21 at 6:19 pm #

I always tried to love endive, but sometimes the bitterness was a bit much. Well, eating it raw without anything on it was probably not a good idea. I’d love to try it withe quinoa. It looks beautiful and so tasty!

15. Geez Louise!
    March 21 at 7:13 pm #

healthy healthy and delicious. endive is underused.

16. Marsha @ The Harried Cook
    March 21 at 8:16 pm #

I loved reading this post… Lots of learning! and I think the dish looks light, fresh and absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing… I love your photographs!

17. Baker Street
    March 21 at 8:21 pm #

Full points for presenting so well. Looks vibrant and delicious. Great post Priscilla.

18. Liren
    March 21 at 11:06 pm #

I wish I still had some endive left! This looks so delicious, I will need to buy more just so I can try it, Priscilla. I’ve been trying to incorporate more tabbouleh into our meals, so this is very timely :)

p.s. Thanks for the mention!!

19. Jean (Lemons and Anchovies)
    March 22 at 12:58 pm #

Priscilla, lucky you receiving a box of endives. They’re on my favorite list right now. Your pictures are so pretty and your tabbouleh is perfect with the endives. I haven’t made tabbouleh in such a long time. Must change that soon! :)

20. Jennifer (Delicieux)
    March 27 at 4:39 pm #

I love your spin on tabbouleh with quinoa and endive, it looks and sounds so delicious. We love tabbouleh in the Delicieux house, but I’d never thought of adding quinoa too it. I will have to try it :D

1. An Interview With She’s Cookin’, My Favorite Foodies Series - March 28

[...] – Eleven Madison Park Granola – Mushroom, Apple and Sage Stuffed Red Onions – 5 Star Beet Salad – Quinoa Tabbouleh with Endive – Blini and Caviar – Sweet Potato, Pork and Apple Skillet Hash – Hoppin’ John – Salmon [...]