A few weeks ago I was among a group of food writers, bloggers, publishers, lovers,…
Today’s recipe has absolutely nothing to do with cookies or holiday baking, but everything to do with eating foods that are delicious, good for your body, and produced with the highest of standards. Don’t worry, you’ll find no preachy posts here, just a simple, heart healthy, gluten free, dairy free recipe that could grace your holiday table or provide a quick and easy weeknight dinner for you and your family any time of year – AND, it ends with a #Giveaway of Star Fine Foods, maker of the Extra Virgin California Olive Oil featured here, and an assortment of their other fine products.
Way back in September (Wow, is it really December!) I attended an Olive Oil Tasting hosted by Star Fine Foods and Diane Cu and Todd Porter of White on Rice Couple. Much like wine tasting, but instead we were taken on a tour of the world’s richest olive oil regions including Spain, the Mediterranean, and the Holy Lands and, while we were there, the first to taste STAR® California Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO), one of the first olive oils made exclusively from olives grown in California.
Since then, their EVOO California Olive Oil has honestly become my go-to olive oil – it’s light with fruity notes and a bold peppery finish (doesn’t that sound like wine) which makes it an ideal choice for dipping sauces, dressings, and cooking vegetables and proteins when you don’t desire a bold olive oil taste. Here I’ve combined it with the warm flavors of apple cider vinegar and curry to lightly coat exotic ebony grains of organic Forbidden Rice from Lotus Foods dotted with the vibrant jewel tones of dried apricots and cranberry, crunchy pistachios and the pleasurable pop of fresh pomegranate seeds.
Jeweled Forbidden Rice
1 cup Lotus Foods Forbidden Rice*
1/3 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
1/3 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup Star California Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey or agave
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon minced shallots
salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare rice according to package directions. Transfer rice to a glass mixing bowl and allow to cool.
2. While rice is cooking, chop the apricots and pistachios. I poured a half cup of hot water over the cranberries to moisten and plump them up a bit.
3. Whisk together the apple cider vinegar, honey, curry, and shallots.
4. Toss pistachios, apricots, cranberries, and pomegranate seeds with rice. Pour dressing over, and mix to blend. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*A new study shows that a spoonful of black rice bran or 10 spoonfuls of cooked black rice contains the same amount of antioxidants as a spoonful of fresh blueberries. Click here for more information.
Giveaway is now closed.
NOW for the GIVEAWAY!
ne lucky reader will have the opportunity to experience Star’s EV California Olive Oil as well as an assortment of other Star Fine Foods products.
Included in the basket are four bottles of Family Reserve Olive Oils: one each of Fresh Basil, Fresh Rosemary, Lemon Peel, and Roasted Garlic; Star Balsamic Vinegar,, Star Red Wine Vinegar, Star Cannonballs Stuffed Spanish Queen Olives, Star Spanish Salad Olives, Cara Mia Marinated Artichoke Hearts and Cara Mia Marinated Mushrooms.
How to Win?
1. MAIN ENTRY(required): Like the new She’s Cookin’s page on Facebook and leave a comment below letting me know that you have and please tell us about your favorite use of olive oil, too!
2. BONUS ENTRY: Follow @shescookin and @Star_Fine_Foods on Twitter and tweet the #Giveaway, then come back and tell us you tweeted. To make it easy, copy and paste this: I just entered to win a basket of Olive Oil, Olives and more from @shescookin & @Star_Fine_Foods. Enter here http://ht.ly/7IW27 #Giveaway
• This giveaway is open to USA residents, age 18 and above only, and will run until Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 10:00 pm PST.
• Winner will be chosen by random.org and notified via the email provided on the comment form information.
• Winner has until midnight, December 8, 2011 to claim the Star Fine Foods gift basket or we will choose another winner.
• Winner will receive one gift basket of Star Fine Foods products (retail value of $65). Product will be shipped directly to the winner by Star Fine Foods.
Disclosure: I have not been compensated to write this post and all opinions are mine. This is a way for me to give back to readers and followers of She’s Cookin’. Heck I’d like to be winning this wonderful basket of goodies!
Comments are Closed.
And, after qualifying the entries, the Winner is…. Courtney! Congratulations Courtney