When Kita Roberts of Girl Carnivore, queried our community of food bloggers about participating in Burger Month 2016, I responded with a hearty “I’m in”, cuz, who doesn’t love a fabulous, juicy burger?!
Burgers are the ultimate all American food and they’re popular all over the world – EVERYONE seems to have a burger craving! Granted you’ll find interesting twists on (what we consider) the classic burger in other cultures – Parisians have been serving hamburgers topped with an egg for ages (eggs on pizza, too) and, now famous Mos Burger – the Japanese burger chain renowned for its array of seafood and meat burgers on a rice bun, traditional white bun or with lettuce; founded in 1972 and expanded to locations all over Asia (Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, Indonesia, Australia, South Korea, and of course, Japan)
We’re one week into Burger Month and there has already been so many mouthwatering creations! You can check them all out on the Burger Month Pinterest board.
This year has been a whirlwind of travel so far and the months have flown by. I can hardly believe that Mother’s Day is today, which means that the official start to summer in SoCal – Memorial Day weekend – is less than one month away!
In keeping with She’s Cookin’s heart healthy, low sodium niche and also play to beach and pool lovers who are busy shaping up for summer, my organic, grass-fed Bison burger appeals to those who love an excellent high-quality burger, but one that is lighter, low carb, and loaded with nutritious plant-based additions that lend vibrant color, texture, and loads of fresh flavors to any burger patty.
A slaw of orange and yellow sweet peppers and diced purple kohlrabi marinated briefly in a simple dressing made of sunflower oil and freshly squeezed tangerine juice whisked with a special blend of Japanese Togarashi spice smoked in bourbon barrels from Bourbon Barrel Foods in Kentucky, and a little heat from Chiles de Arbol from Melisssa’s Produce.
Not familiar with kohlrabi? Popular in European countries, Kohlrabi is an annual made up of a pale green or purple bulb that sprouts multiple stalks of dark green leaves, and both parts are edible. Although it looks like a turnip, kohlrabi is related to the cabbage and broccoli. The bulb is crunchy and a little sweet with some of the sharpness of a radish. Farmer’s market regulars or members of Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) groups (that’s where mine came from) are becoming familiar with this vegetable, which is low in calories and high in fiber and potassium.
If you aren’t on the phone with your cable company (ugh), you’ll be able to prep the slaw in 15 minutes, let the flavors mingle, and grill or pan fry the burgers – in less than 30 minutes. A burger is naturally low carb when the bun is eliminated and can be guiltlessly consumed when nutritious, crunchy, colorful veggies adorn that juicy hunk of protein. Less than one ounce of glorious Cabot Extra Sharp Vermont Cheddar cheese tops the Bikini Burger, but can be eliminated for a strict Paleo version.
A simple list of the foods you can eat and those you should avoid on the Paleo Diet:
- Grass-fed meats
- Fresh fruits
- Fresh vegetables
- Healthy oils (olive, walnut, flaxseed, macadamia, avocado, coconut)
- Cereal grains
- Legumes (including peanuts)
- Refined sugar
- Processed foods
- Overly salty foods
- Refined vegetable oils
- Candy/junk/processed food
- 2 Tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed tangerine juice
- 1 teaspoon Bourbon Barrel FoodsBourbon-Smoked Togarashi spice
- 1 orange sweet pepper seeded and sliced thin
- 1/2 yellow sweet pepper seeded and sliced thin
- 1 small Kohlrabi diced*
- 1 fresh Chile de Arbol sliced
- 1.25 pounds Grass Fed Organic Ground Bison*
- 4 - 1/4 inch thick slices Cabot Extra Sharp Vermont Cheddar Cheese*
- freshly ground pepper
- 10-12 Butter lettuce leaves
Prepare your charcoal or heat the grill to medium-high heat, if grilling.
Prepare the peppers and kohlrabi (or red cabbage). I sliced the peppers and diced the kohlrabi for visual interest. If you use red cabbage, you'll probably want to thinly slice it, too. Place in a non-reactive bowl. Wash lettuce leaves.
Whisk together the sunflower oil, tangerine juice, and smoked Togarashi spice and toss with the vegetables.
With minimal handling, form meat into four burgers and make an indentation with your thumbs in the middle. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. I add no salt for a low-sodium diet, but feel free to sprinkle with sea salt, if you like.
* Ground beef or chuck can be substituted for the ground bison.
* From an 8 ounce block of Cabot cheese. Cheese is optional.
* Red cabbage may be substituted for the purple kohlrabi.
Enjoy with lots of napkins!
Where this epic burger creation is my own for #BurgerMonth 2016, I would love to thank Certified Angus Beef, Cowboy Charcoal, Char-broil, Dreamfarm, Cabot Cheese, Grill Master Club, American Lamb Board, and CuttingBoard.com for the kick butt grill prize packages!
Take a peek at Kita’s #BurgerMonth 2016 page for all of the burgers made during the month; it will be updated as new ones publish…you’ll have ideas to last all summer.
We also have incredible products for you to WIN all month long! Check out these PRIZES!
- American Lamb Board– (4) ALB prize boxes with 5 lbs of ground lamb, an apron and a meat thermometer
- Cabot Cheese– (4) Cabot Cheese Legacy Gift Boxes – 2 each Farmhouse Reserve, White Oak & Alpine Cheddar – 1 each New York Vintage & Seriously Sharp, 1 Wine Bottle Opener
- Casabella– Week 3 – 1 Chop ‘N Prep™ Cutting Board with 4 Cutting Mats
- Certified Angus Beef® brand– (4) CAB prize grilling accessory kits, $50 VISA card, and a George Motz Hamburger America cookbook.
- Char-Broil– (4) Char-Broil Performance 780 Charcoal Grills
- Cowboy Charcoal– (4) Hardwood Lump Charcoal, a variety of wood chips and some of Cowboy’s new BBQ sauces.
- Cuttingboard.com– (4) Olive Wood Carver Boards
- Dreamfarm – Week 2 – Big Vebo
- Grill Masters Club Subscription Grilling Box – (4) curated grill sample boxes
- KitchenIQ– Week 1 – V-etched Container Grater
- Swissmar– Week 4 – Glow 7PC Fondue Set
Rules aside, this looks delicious. GREG
Moore or Less Cooking Food Blog
Looks wonderful! Nettie
Best topping is guacamole
My favorite topping is grilled pineapple slices and I will definitely try this slaw.
oh my! This sound sooo good!! Yummo!!!