Moroccan Chicken with Green Beans

I’ve been on a Moroccan bender for the past year, especially after “discovering” this quality blend of the aromatic Moroccan spice Ras el Hanout from Awaken Savor Spices. Ras el Hanout can contain more than 30 ingredients and is a traditional Moroccan blend of herbs and spices, popular across the Middle East and North Africa. The name means “head of the shop” in Arabic and represents the very pinnacle of spice blends – for Moroccan souks (spice merchants) it’s a point of honor to have the most sought after version of this blend. Ingredients include saffron, paprika, cumin, ginger, coriander, tumeric, fennel seed, and allspice to name a few.

I first used it in my 5-Minute Spicy Hummus recipe posted last year and, funny sidenote:  my volunteering at a #140 Meetup at the Comedy Store the same day, led to a mention of my site and  contributed to hummus trending on Twitter that night :-) If you love Moroccan cuisine, I highly recommend adding Ras el Hanout to your array of spices. Rather than having individual bottles of all the spices that typically go into a Moroccan dish, a tablespoon or two of this exotic blend is all you need.

For Green Bean week, this is Simple + Seasonal recipe #3 highlighting tender, young green beans fresh from the garden or your nearest local farmer’s market. I adapted this from a Bon Appetit recipe that I saved from years ago. The original recipe called for about 10 different spices, simplified by using Ras el Hanout :-) Similar to a tagine, this Morrocan stew is made in one large pot or dutch oven. Feel free to vary the vegetables – it’s fantastic with roasted eggplant, zucchini or roasted cauliflower.

Every month, Nancy at Spicie Foodie hosts a Your Best Recipe (YBR) roundup to bring together in one spot some of the best recipes in  the food blogosphere. I’ve included my Moroccan Chicken with Green Beans in the YBR June Roundup  – take a minute to check out some of the other delicious dishes – just click on the button :-)

Tags: , , ,

11 Responses to “Moroccan Chicken with Green Beans”

June 23 at 3:06 pm #

That looks fantastic and loving the flavors of the sauce…I bet it would work wonderfully with fish or shrimp as well :)

2. Tanantha
    June 23 at 3:39 pm #

That’s an interesting spice! I will need to look for it and get my hands on. The green beans you got are beautiful and it works beautifully in this dish!

June 23 at 6:27 pm #

I love that you were responsible for hummus trending on Twitter, lol! I definitely need to make an effort to include ras el hanout in my cooking more. I love spice blends and I really love Moroccan cooking so yeah… it’s on my to do list :)

June 24 at 12:18 pm #

I love your moroccan chicken with green beans! I think I would need some pasta to go with the sauce.

June 26 at 2:59 pm #

Thanks for the intro. Beautiful use for it too. GREG

6. Carolyn
    June 27 at 8:22 am #

This is a great looking dish! After my recent foray into tagines, I am in love with the Moroccan flavours. I will definitely make this.

June 27 at 3:53 pm #

Ras el Hanout is definitely one of my favorite spice blends too. This looks like a great dish, Priscilla!

June 27 at 8:38 pm #

Oh delicious! My best friend and I are obsessed with all things Morocco…especially the food. This chicken dish looks so delicious! I love all the spices…I need to make this soon. Thank you for sharing with me today. I hope you are having a happy Monday! Much love and blessings from Austin!

9. pachecopatty
    June 27 at 9:29 pm #

I eyeballed the green beans at the market today, I’ll have to pick some up at the farmers market tomorrow. I love the look of this dish and the spices, yummy;-)

10. Nancy
    July 5 at 7:03 am #

Hi Priscilla, Hope you had a lovely holiday weekend. Also Thanks for having participated in June’s YBR:)

1. Weekly roundup: Making your own ramen - Food Frenzy - The Orange County Register - June 25

[…] She’s Cookin’ served up Moroccan chicken with green beans. […]