Sweet Potato Crostini

sweet potato crostini, gluten free crostini

What’s your go-to appetizer for a spontaneous get together? In our house it is…or was, crostini, that is until Don’s sodium restrictions required a closer look at how much bread we consumed. Believe it or not, bread is quite high in sodium – one slice contains anywhere from 160 milligrams to over 360 milligrams, depending on brand and type. We had always focused on the amount of fiber and whole grain ingredients, without much thought to sodium content and were surprised at how much sodium there is in a single slice of bread or one bun.

When you consider the amount of baking soda, baking powder and salt, as a flavor enhancer and a preservative, that goes into bread and baked goods it makes sense. It’s just not something we had given much attention. So, we either make our own yeast bread because it requires no baking soda or baking powder (go ahead, check the labels and calculate the sodium content – the serving size is 1/8 of a teaspoon!), or buy low-sodium bread like those from Ezekial and Oasis , or the lower-sodium whole grain sourdough bread from our favorite bakery, Baguetier.

sweet potato crostini, gluten free crostini

Bonus: This tasty alternative to crostini is also gluten-free! Try them with a variety of savory toppings, the cheese of your choice and chutney, salsa, or pesto. I used goat cheese because – you guessed it – it’s lower in sodium than most cheeses, but the salty flavor of feta would balance the sweetness of the sweet potato wonderfully. The also fit in nicely with October Unprocessed. Remember me mentioning this challenge on October 1st? The month is nearing an end and over 6,000 people have taken the challenge put forth by Andrew Wilder over at Eating Rules. Today, my post on Naturally Delicious #UnProcessed Sodium Substitutes is featured. Check out the many recipes and informative, thought-provoking articles that others have contributed throughout the month.

October #Unprocessed

Enjoy :)

sweet potato crostini, gluten free crostini

16 Responses to “Sweet Potato Crostini”

1. Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious
    October 29 at 7:05 am #

YUM! Great idea to sub a sweet potato slice for the bread!

October 29 at 8:46 am #

Glad you agree, Dorothy – we’re always thinking and experimenting :)

2. Matt mmWine Horbund
    October 29 at 8:36 am #

I am going to have to give this a try. Wine pairing options would include California Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer or Riesling if off dry (slight sweetness) or viognier. However, goat cheese’s best friend is sauvignon blanc!

Cheers
    Matt

October 29 at 8:50 am #

Matt, you’re the man! Always have the wine pairing (s) in mind. Sauvignon Blanc is my go-to, but a dry Riesling is my new love :)

3. Lentil Breakdown
    October 29 at 9:34 am #

I was just thinking of doing something like that with a sweet potato, but hadn’t figured out the toppings! Thanks for the nudge. ; )

4. Nami | Just One Cookbook
    October 29 at 11:35 am #

What a great idea to use sweet potato for crostini! I love sweet potatoes especially Japanese sweet potatoes. You gave me such a great inspiration and I’d definitely want to make crostini out of the sweet potatoes! Healthier and great snack for kids!

5. Patty
    October 29 at 12:16 pm #

I love sweet potatoes and this is one good looking appetizer to me!!!
    This would be a fun recipe to play around with and why not serve at Thanksgiving!?

October 29 at 9:34 pm #

I was thinking the same thing, Patty. Great minds…. :)

6. Jeanette
    October 29 at 1:15 pm #

What a pretty presentation for a classic flavor combination!

7. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme
    October 29 at 4:45 pm #

What a great idea! And a beautiful little appetizer, too.

8. Barbara | Creative Culinary
    October 30 at 12:55 pm #

I admit I was one of those. You know…sweet potatoes once a year on Thanksgiving types? But now…I just love them and I will sooner bake a sweet potato than an Idaho!

This sounds genius…and wonderful. Looks so pretty too!

9. Angie@Angie's Recipes
    October 30 at 10:23 pm #

I love the idea of using sweet potatoes instead of crackers or bread. Must be very tasty!

10. Lisa
    November 3 at 10:49 am #

I have no idea why..but for a week, your site wouldn’t load for me. Well..I’m happy it did now and I love your sweet potato crostini! Ditching the carbs for sweet potatoes sounds so good, I don’t think I would miss the bread!

11. Suzanne
    November 3 at 3:17 pm #

Priscilla this appetizer sounds terrific and healthy I love it. Sweet potatoes are not used enough in my opinion!

12. Terra
    November 3 at 3:23 pm #

Love this recipe, what a fun idea! We love finding new ideas for recipes without bread:-) I know we do love the baked caprese crostini, but honestly most of the time we just make a southwest Greek yogurt dip with chips:-) Hugs,

13. Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    November 8 at 7:32 pm #

I love sweet potatoes, what a great idea!