Mi Amore, Sausage with Peppers and Onions

Sausage and Peppers is a comfort food dish that I return to again and again – it’s hearty and satisfying for those days when you crave warmth and robust flavors. And, it’s quick and easy to make, requiring only a pepper, onion, and tomatoes – canned or fresh will do, and the purchase of quality Italian sausage from the store, or preferably, a favorite meat counter or sausage maker. We love sausage in our house and for a meatless dish have  even made Sausage and Peppers Vegan Style, using a vegan sausage that passed the meat-lovers taste test.

If you’re like many mom cooks, sometimes you get bored making the same thing the same way every time but you know changing things sets you up for a deluge of objections, questions, and comments from the loving critics around the table that love it just the way you’ve made it for upteen years. But there comes a time when you just have to throw caution to the wind, say to heck with it and prepare your defense…. but, in this case, nary an objection was uttered.

One of the benefits of reading lots of food blogs is the inspiration and ideas I gain from just seeing different approaches to even the most well-loved classics;  an answer to my culinary boredom, if you will. Inspired by the Sausage, Peppers, and Onions recipe that Bunkycooks shared in her article about two sausage makers in Warwick, GA, all I did differently to my normal Sausage and Peppers was cut my vegetables in chunks rather than strips and serve it with saffron rice rather than atop an Italian roll or pasta. Violá – boredom be gone :-)

Tags:

19 Responses to “Mi Amore, Sausage with Peppers and Onions”

February 9 at 11:23 am #

I’ve only had sausage and peppers in a sandwich, but I love the idea of serving it over saffron rice to make it more refined and I’m sure a bit healthier :)

2. Pachecopatty
    February 9 at 12:40 pm #

I love your comment, et voila boredom be gone;-) Whoops, I added the et! I agree sausage and peppers are a big time comfort food for us. But, there is nothing wrong with trying a different twist and all our favorite food blogs provide constant inspiration. I also read cookbooks but less food magazines these days;-)
    Take care and keep these good recipes coming!

February 9 at 9:18 pm #

I enjoy the combination of flavours in this dish…a homey and comfort one!

February 9 at 10:28 pm #

Very nice! Love the colors in this dish, and actually this would be a beautifully flavored vegetarian dish with or without the vegan sausage :) Nothing boring going on with this :)

5. Crazy Eddie
    February 10 at 9:07 am #

Thanks, I was indeed inspired by your sausage and peppers recipe. With 8 inches of snow outside it especially looks delicious. Nice and warm and comforting. Thanks.

Thai Recipe Downloads

February 10 at 11:34 am #

Mmm, definitely one of my favorite comfort foods too! Love the pretty peppers and tomatoes you used, and the saffron rice was a really lovely touch!

7. 5 Star Foodie
    February 10 at 8:27 pm #

Absolutely love sausage and peppers, haven’t made it in a long time! Sounds just perfect with saffron rice!

8. G Martin
    February 11 at 9:14 am #

Your post brings back childhood memories of the way we gave my mother a hard time when she would try a new recipe. I guess we didn’t like change and had a fear of the unknown, but in the end it was always good.

9. RavieNomNoms
    February 11 at 10:28 am #

What great photos you have and what beautiful colors you have going on in this! Looks so great this dish, I haven’t had sausage in a whiiile.

10. Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen
    February 11 at 10:43 am #

Sausage with peppers and onions is a favorite of mine too! I’m apt to put it on a bun and call it dinner :) Great colors in your images, they really pop!

11. Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron
    February 11 at 11:50 am #

Yes! i gained my appetite and inspiration from checking inspiring blogs. I love the color of this dish and the ingredients sound terrific!

My husband would love this because he’s trying to eat healthy as possible. Have a good weekend, Priscilla!

12. Melody Fury
    February 11 at 11:58 am #

I can just smell the saffron and sausage from reading this. This looks amazing!

13. This is one of our favorite meals. It is such a complete experience.. the aromas, the colors, the wonderful flavors! Mouthwatering just to look at! She’ s cookin’ for sure!

February 11 at 4:09 pm #

What a great version of sausage and peppers…I would not do the sausage part of course, but I love everything here :) Beautiful dish!

15. bunkycooks
    February 11 at 4:24 pm #

Hi Priscilla,

Thanks so much for the mention and I am so glad you enjoyed my recipe! We still go back to this recipe since it’s so good and so easy! We have lots of sausage in our freezer, so we will have this several more times in the coming weeks!

Sorry I have been so busy and haven’t been by sooner!! I hope you have a great weekend! :)

Gwen

February 11 at 9:10 pm #

This saffron rice elevates a morning meal to something extraordinary. Wow! I don’t know about you, but I’m so glad it is finally Friday. I hope you have a wonderful weekend of relaxation, love and laughter. Thank you for sharing, my friend!

17. Kate @ Diethood.com
    February 12 at 10:23 am #

mmmmm delicious comfort food! I can only imagine the wonderful smell and amazing taste… such a yummy meal!

1. Tweets that mention Sausage with Peppers and Onions | She's Cookin' -- Topsy.com - February 9

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Seneca Crisp Onions, Priscilla Willis. Priscilla Willis said: Brrrr, with this weather, can't get enough comfort food! Sausage and Peppers with a twist. http://ht.ly/3TnAW #recipe [...]

2. Stella Artois Cidre Pairing - Curry Chicken Salad with Red Moscato Grapes | She's Cookin' | from the heart - September 12

[...] Sausage with Peppers and Onions and Saffron Rice  [...]