Savory Hatch Chile and Candied Bacon Pancakes

Hatch Chile Candied Bacon Pancakes

Hatch Chile season has arrived! I’ve got mine, thanks to Melissa’s Produce, and they’re already grilled and roasted with a few bags stashed in the freezer to satisfy my hatch chile craving when they’re long gone. These highly coveted chiles are in big demand, but don’t worry – you’re not too late! Actually, the fun has just begun: Hatch chile season typically begins in late August and continues until mid-October. In fact, this year’s Hatch Chile Festival is on my birthday, how thoughtful of them. Cheers to all the chile heads out there!

Authentic New Mexico Hatch chiles are favorite Southwestern chile with a unique flavor owing to the hot days and cool nights of the Mesilla Valley where they’re grown. In terms of heat index, they vary from mild to medium-hot and are prized for Southwestern dishes like Chile con Queso, Chile Rellenos, and Chile Verde. But the hatch doesn’t stop there – best roasted or grilled, it’s makes a mean sauce and is a piquant addition to salsas, salads, and sandwiches….or pancakes.

Hatch Chile Candied Bacon Pancakes

Being a huge chile relleno fan, I try them in every Mexican or Southwestern restaurant that looks like they could make a decent one, I’m working on putting my signature on this dish, but haven’t quite perfected it. In the meantime, this recipe for savory cornmeal pancakes with grilled Hatch chiles, bits of sweet onion, and a kicker of candied bacon will surely set your mouth to watering! Swathed in maple syrup they absolutely made my morning, but they would also work well as a grab-n-go if you absolutely had to run or, griddled in a dollar-size and served with a dollop of sour cream – a tempting appetizer. Don’t worry about the bacon, it’s just enough to liven things up, but not enough to feel guilty – and obviously, it can be omitted, but that’s your call.

Hatch Chile Candied Bacon Pancakes

Go ahead, take a bite!
Hatch Chile Candied Bacon Pancakes

Get in on the craze and join Chef Jamie Gwen broadcasting live from 8:00 – 10:00 a.m. and folks from Melissa’s at Bristol Farms in Newport Beach for a fun day of swapping recipes and talkin’ Hatch with other chile heads on September 8th and 9th while they roast your chiles for you! They have the best looking roasters around :)

Melissas Produce,  Hatch Chile roasting

OR, have the best Hatch chiles to be found delivered straight to your doorstep (2nd day UPS) by ordering them direct from Melissa’s Produce.

Melissas Produce, Hatch Chiles

Tags: , ,

14 Responses to “Savory Hatch Chile and Candied Bacon Pancakes”

1. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
    August 29 at 7:30 am #

What a creative use!! I just picked up some freshly roasted ones at the farmers market this weekend. They made an excellent green chili salsa. Love the idea of pancakes, so creative!

August 29 at 9:06 am #

Thank you, Erin! This was one of those *happy dance* days :)

2. Patty
    August 29 at 10:58 am #

Hi Priscilla! These certainly look better than the fruit smoothie I had for breakfast this morning.
    I love my roasted chills too! So many creative ways to use them and your pancakes are beauties;-)

3. Suzanne
    August 29 at 12:44 pm #

Priscilla these pancakes look wonderful, I pinned them to try out soon, thanks for the recipe. Hope you are doing well.

4. Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    August 29 at 9:23 pm #

Now that’s a stack of pancakes! I must pass this on to my brother – he’s a bacon fiend!

P.S. How do we get to meet those chile roasters? ;)

5. Angie@Angie's Recipes
    August 30 at 7:19 am #

These pancakes are heavenly, Priscilla. Love the candied bacon.

August 31 at 4:34 pm #

Last night on The Table Set we discussed “Breakfast Anytime”. This is a perfect example of a breakfast staple for dinner (savory at that!). Love it. GREG

7. Lisa
    August 31 at 11:22 pm #

Priscilla..you had me at Hatch Chile Candied Bacon Panackes. There is nothing I do not love about these..nothing at all. I’m a sweet and heat sort of girl, and that heat with the hatch chiles and the slightly sweet bacon in a pancake is so phenomenal, I can barely type! I know what I’m making for breakfast (or any meal) soon! A Huge stack for myself!

8. Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking
    September 2 at 5:58 pm #

such a tempting stack of pancakes. I love some heat in my dishes and the addition of the chili to the pancakes sounds so good!

9. Gerry @ Foodness Gracious
    September 3 at 8:46 pm #

Great idea for the pancakes, I need to try these chili’s before the season ends!

10. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious
    September 7 at 7:59 pm #

Wow, this looks amazing! I’ve never tried a savory pancake before but I’m so antsy to give it a try!

11. Kevin (Closet Cooking)
    September 8 at 11:29 am #

These would make for a really tasty breakfast!

12. marla
    September 9 at 5:59 am #

Great recipe! Will be linking back to this in my post tommorow :)

1. Graham Flour Pancakes with Cream Cheese Maple Sauce Recipe | Simple Homemade Pancake Mix — Family Fresh Cooking - September 9

[…] Savory Hatch Chili and Candied Bacon Pancakes She’s Cookin’ […]